Monday, September 3, 2012

Pledge Politics

Jackie Cilley, who says The Pledge is a pledge to raise property taxes
Grover Norquist Who Wants to Drown Your Government In His Bathtub
















When you think about it...But who ever really thinks about anything in governance now?
But if you do think about it, every Republican and every Democrat who has taken this asinine pledge to NEVER PERMIT AN INCOME TAX in the state of New Hampshire, has actually taken a pledge to raise property taxes.

Jackie Cilley did think about it and she said, "No."

Only two things are certain: Death and Taxes. 

If we are going to have a government, we will have taxes of some sort.

Unless, of course, you agree with Grover Norquist that the government we ought to have should be small enough so Grover can drown it in his bathtub, but even then, you need taxes.

And if we have taxes, then if you make one tax smaller, or eliminate one tax, then all the other taxes have to, do what?  That's right, Einstein, the others must GET BIGGER!

So if we say no sales tax, no income tax, no this tax, no that tax, what has been left to taxpayers in New Hampshire is the property tax. 
 As taxes go, the property tax may seem like a "progressive" tax, that is, it falls more heavily on those with more valuable property.  Problem with this simplistic thinking is, it really does not fall most heavily on those with the most disposable income, those whose bank accounts get bigger every year. It falls most on those people who have owned property, their homes, for the longest and they have seen the value attributed to their homes and land rise. Of course, this is imaginary value. Your home and land is worth nothing until you sell it, but you pay rising  taxes on that imaginary value every year you do not sell it. So if you are retired, living on your Social Security and your 401 K, you watch your "rent" you pay the state of New Hampshire on your paid off home rise, while your income does not rise.

When I ran a small business I paid: Federal income tax, income tax to the State of Maryland, self employment tax, Alternative Minimum Tax, Social Security tax, Medicare tax, Maryland and county property tax, state personal property tax, Auto Registration tax.  And those are just the taxes I can remember. I had an accountant who kept track of all the taxes I had to pay. 

Of all these, I hated the income tax most because it required me to keep all sorts of records and receipts, which even after 30 years of collecting and filing these things, I never felt I got right. And it made me play games with what was a reasonable deduction:  I could deduct the miles I put on my car driving to certain locations but not to others, if I kept a log of where I drove. Driving to my office parking lot was not deductible. Driving to a hospital parking lot was deductible. It was intrusive, frustrating and I knew others were gaming the system where I was not.  People like Mitt Romney didn't have "ordinary income," so they paid only 1/3 of what I was paying.  Friends bought Expeditions and Excalibers, very large SUV's because they could deduct most of the cost of these behemoths, while I drove my economy car. Friends put their malpractice insurance on credit cards, because they could deduct payments made by credit cards and that paid air fare for London vacations. People gamed the federal income tax and I resented the whole game.

So I hate income taxes.

But the state income tax was a straight fraction of whatever you paid the feds. It was less obnoxious.

I wouldn't want a state income tax, but I might prefer it to higher property taxes or to a tax on my car or on my parking at work. 

But what I really find obnoxious is a pledge some sleazeball like Grover Norquist popularizes telling me what a third rail, an electric fence in the state of New Hampshire ought to be.


No comments:

Post a Comment